UPDATE: Sorry for the late update... Once the doctors began operating, they saw it was actually his appendix that may have been causing his problems. So he ended up having his appendix taken out, and didn't need to stay in the hospital. It's been a week since the surgery, and Brent is feeling better and is going back to work later this week. Thanks for all the well-wishes!So look… I, Brent, am not the most coordinated person out there. I have bumped, knocked, and smashed into many an inanimate object, yet have never broken a bone. I did get stitches in my chin once when I was young, but the fact is, I consider myself lucky that I have not spent much time in a hospital.
That changes tomorrow.
I don’t want to over-dramatize this. I am a pretty healthy guy. There are people who have been diagnosed with cancer, suffered strokes and heart attacks, and have birthed children by C-Section. My procedure should be pretty straight-forward, and my condition is not at all life-threatening. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous.
Tomorrow, I’ll be having surgery on my abdomen, over an issue I’ve been dealing with on and off for a few years. Two colonoscopies and a deep abdominal scan later, I’ve been diagnosed with a Meckel’s Diverticulum… an abnormality on my small intestine that happens in 2% of people, and which causes most of those folks no problems at all. But for me, it’s caused me some problems which makes my health care professionals think I should have it removed. It requires them to take out a piece of my small intestine, and then “sew” the remaining ends back together.
I should be out of the hospital by Wednesday or Thursday (assuming there are no complications).
I feel bad that Julie will have to pick up the slack around the house and with the parenting (although let’s face it, she already takes care of Gracie and I both anyway), and hope to be back to my old self real soon.
Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.
6 comments:
you'll be in my prayers brent. wishing you a safe and speedy recovery!
Praying for you guys! Even if it isn't considered a critical surgery...every surgery is scary. Let us know if we can watch Gracie or help in any way.
my prayers are with you brent. take care and i'm lovin ur blog!
Good luck with the surgery and recovery. Does this mean you get to eat tons of ice cream and while watching Julie clean up the house?
Oh goodness. I am sorry, we will be praying for you!
Just saw the blog. Hope everything went alright. You are in our prayers.
Post a Comment